Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Boy's Birthday Bash

Dinosaurs and cake and Lego's, OH MY!!!  My little boy is growing up fast.  He has never had a birthday party, can you believe that?  Well, I decided to remedy that situation, and we asked him what kind of a birthday party he wanted.  His answer:  dinosaurs.  Okey dokey. 

I have a Cricut and 60-some cartridges for it.  Each cartridge has about 700 images on it.  Do you think that I'd have a few dinosaurs to choose from for his invitations?  I had 4, actually.  None of which struck his fancy, but they would have to do.

We put a party hat on them so they'd be festive:

The dino image is from Paper Doll Dress Up, the phrase is from Zooballoo (always a favorite!) and the party hat is from Paper Pups.  I used the Icicle border punch from Martha Stewart (I think - it's her style of punch, white with folding wings) to make the grass from brown paper.

I made cupcake wrappers for his cupcake "cake."  First, the I made cupcakes using a mix (oh, for shame!)  Then I made homemade buttercream frosting and piped the frosting onto the cupcakes using a star tip. 

I cut the cupcake wrappers using Design Studio.  I had read that the cupcake wrappers should be cut at about 8" using the Fit to Length feature key.  I actually tried them first using the keypad in my Expression, without Design Studio.  I needed the wrapper cut to 9" in order for it to fit over the wrapper.   I set my size to 9" length in Design Studio, and adjusted the images to fit two wrappers onto one sheet of cardstock.  When I cut the images, they were MUCH smaller than what I'd previously cut using just the cartridge.  Oops.  I resized the DS images to cut at the same size.  I think they ended up at 10 1/2" to fit a standard cupcake wrapper.  I like the Cupcake Wrapper cartridge, I just need to remember to make sure I do plenty of test cuts before I cut out a dozen of them at the wrong size!!!



I have to remember to take BETTER photos.  Ha.  Anyway, we cut out each of the 4 dino's on PPDU and made picks for the cupcakes with them.  Voila!!  The kids loved the cupcakes and fought over who got the pteradactyl.  Have to remember that - make extra pteradactyls for the kids and send it in their Thank You cards. 

Now, I can get on with the Christmas cards and holiday decorating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment